Thursday, April 27, 2006

This is a first

Welcome to the first edition of "Erin Off Camera". Not only is this the first installment of this particular blog, it is my first time blogging. Ever. I'm not a very computer savvy person. I know how to use email and our newsroom scripting system. That about covers it. So, this is a new venture for me, and I'm hoping it will become a regular stop for you.

Our hope in creating this blog is to give you, our viewers, information that you won't get by watching a regular nightly broadcast. It might be nuggets about the day's top stories that didn't make it into our shows, or just some insight into how we decided what stories to cover today.

One of our top stories tonight has a title that sounds like it was ripped from a spy novel: Operation Falcon 2. The US Marshal's Office says its purpose was to take violent sex offenders off the streets, and it worked. During one week earlier this month, more than 100 fugitives were captured in Iowa alone.

Three days . . . three delays. CIETC hearings were supposed to continue at the statehouse this week, but haven't. Tuesday former COO John Bargman was in a car accident. Wednesday, he was stuck in traffic. Today the secretary accused of dumping documents before sunrise did show up to testify, but legislators were too busy talking about the state's unfinished budget to hear from her.

And tonight at ten, we bring you a Channel 13 News Investigation. For the past several months, Sonya Heitshusen and I have been looking into the problem of hospital infections. According to the CDC, they kill more than 90-thousand people in this country every year. There's no law forcing Iowa hospitals to track their infection rates, nor make them public but some people think there should be.

Thanks for reading, and watching!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice going Erin! I look forward to reading about what's going on. I'll feel "in the know" ;)

Anonymous said...

Erin, when can we see you on TV again???

Anonymous said...

THIS IS DUMB

Anonymous said...

in retail stores, such as kohles, time off is not approved November through December. Obviously, due to the Christmas season.

Anonymous said...

CIETC part of IWD, IWD part of Department of ED which also oversees Vocational Rehabilitation and Voc Rehab oversees the determining committee for eligibity for Social Security [SSDI/SSI]

Voc Rehab has to give services to SSDI recipients, unless it's me, I guess.
You can check out the salaries for the people who work for the government on IA legis website -- http://staffweb.legis.state.ia.us/lfb/salbook/ You can search by Name or by agency. Or you can just go through the whole list. I don't know what he makes for bonus or vacation etc, but I do know the Administrator of Voc Rehab makes 4,177.60 BW $103,020.00 Salary FY & travel $7,575.09. The administrator's name is located on the website for IDVRS http://www.dvrs.state.ia.us/

Anonymous said...

Anonymous regarding Voc Rehab and IWD in Davenport,Iowa was really denied her Legal benefits, I went through the program but Had no problem because I had counselor who cared. Not the case in Annoymous.