I know what you're thinking.
I hate to disappoint, but this post will not be about the Da Vinci Code.
It is about hair.
That's right.
Hair.
Hair, like it or not, is the Holy Grail of tv news these days.
Ask anyone in the business and they will tell you that they've received more emails, phone calls and letters about their hair than about most anything they've said or done on the air.
Most of us hate this aspect of our jobs, but for some reason that's just the way it is.
And it's not just women who put up with hair criticism.
For example, John Bachman often gets accused of coloring his hair or wearing a rug. Not true. I can attest to this because I was working outside with JB on an incredibly windy central Iowa day. His hair moved (a lot). There's lots of it, and it is most definitely attached by follicles to his head!
Another colleague recently asked me about his hair. Murph came into work yesterday with a new haircut. Bachman gave him a hard time and Keith replied by saying something along the lines of, "Not all of us are blessed with hair genes like John Bachman and Bill Clinton!" He then proceeded to ask me if I thought his hair was too short. Oye!
I have gone through several hairstyles over the years (some ok . . . some horrific) and nothing causes more hoopla for a woman on television than a hair change. When I chopped all of my hair off a few years ago, I got responses ranging from "I love your new haircut - don't change a thing!" to "Oh my God. You used to be hot. I bet your husband is ____ off that you cut your hair, it's horrible!" Now, I've grown out my hair and it's the same thing all over again! One man sent me a letter saying he and his wife love it, but a woman just left me a voicemail a few nights ago saying, "I'm just so sorry about your hair. It makes you look 15 years older." That's great. Made my night.
Speaking of which . . . I need to go make sure my hair doesn't look all crazy, it's getting close to news time.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Erin
erin.kiernan@whotv.com
Friday, June 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I have to say that blog actually cracked me up! Your just as average as everyone else on the street.... if someone walked down the street and told me my hair sucked, I would seriously tell them what I think... thats just not right... Its like freedom of speech... instead its freedom of follicles. :)
Good blog!
I think you are a hottie.
A hairstyle is your own personal preference. It's kind of like your taste in food, clothing, or what T.V. program you like as to one you don't. Personally, you do whatever you want when it comes to your hair. You are your own person, therefore, you have the right to grow your hair out or chop it. Who cares what everyone else thinks. Yeah...so you are in the public's eye 5+ days a week. Not matter what you can't please anybody.....well maybe people like your husband, certain family members, etc. It all boils down to two things....1. Some people have too much time on their hands to complain about a news anchors hairstyle.....2. There are certain few people in this world that can look good with short hair and with long.....I'm one of them and so are you Erin. YOU GO GIRL!
Normally I wouldn't bring this up, but since you are on the subject here, your hair was different last night. I think it looked really really good!
I agree with the others, do whatever you want to your hair...it's definitely a personal preference!
It's HAIR, people!! Yeesh!
Erin,
You are beautiful, but more than that...you are professional and a great reporter/anchor.
If we don't like your hair, that is our problem. If we didn't like your reporting that would be your problem.
But we do so....no problem. :)
I think your hair is beautiful. I like it any way you'd do it.
Post a Comment