I'm am back on the workout bandwagon and IT HURTS! It is so unfair that it takes so long to get in shape, and mere days to turn into a slug. I'm forcing myself into types of exercise that I typically don't do, like running and Pilates. Do you guys have favorite workout regimes, or things you do to shake things up? I have to admit that changing the routine is keeping me motivated, I just wish it wasn't so painful!
Sunday night Michael and I were in the backyard grilling when we heard our front doorbell ring. Both of us were instantly annoyed. Sunday is the one day of the week we attempt to reserve for ourselves and I did NOT want to deal with whomever was there. So, I wasn't going to answer the door. But the doorbell rang, again. I answered, and quickly went from annoyed to sympathetic. A high school kid was standing there, looking like he wanted to be anyplace but our porch. His mother was behind him, at the bottom of our front steps. He was selling gift cards, trying to raise money for the Roosevelt band to buy new instruments. He seemed absolutely miserable and I felt so bad for him. I have vivid memories of doing the same sort of door-to-door fundraisers as a kid, for everything from Girl Scouts to swing choir and volleyball and I hated it. So, if a nice young person comes to your door begging for a donation and you think it's legit ... give him or her a few bucks, please.
Finally, I got this email a few weeks ago from Brian Vande Lune:
"Erin, Maybe you've done this, or something like it... but I think it would be interesting to walk through a log of a "day-in-the-life" of a news anchor. I'm sure that many would be interested in things like when do you have to show up for work...what goes on in between 6 and 10...do you write the copy or at least get to pre-read the news copy...do you get to pick what events you want to attend (state fair parade) or are you assigned..............Thanks, Brian"
I wrote a post about this about a year ago, so I won't bore you with the minute-by-minute details of my work day. Instead, I thought I'd just address some of Brian's specific questions that have less to do with schedule and more to do with content. Our night shifts begin at 1:30, and we're usually out of here right after the 10 o'clock show. Of course that can change if there is breaking news, or we stay late or come in early to work on a project. I don't think any of our anchors fall into the "talking head" sterotype. All of us write copy, and re-write copy for every show. Sometimes, there is no script at all. If it's breaking news or a developing story, we have to adlib. When it comes to public appearances and volunteer work, it's pretty much up to us. We are "strongly encouraged" to sign up for things like the fair booth and parade, the Arts Festival and Kids Fest but sometimes people are out of town or just unable to do those things due to their schedules and/or personal lives. Volunteering for other events and organizations is something that most of us do because we want to. I know that I choose to be a part of a lot of those activities because the particular cause is something I care about, or think is important.
Right now, it's time for me to get my rear in gear for the 10pm newscast!
6 comments:
Wow thanks Erin for the glance at your busy schedule. I remember job shadowing Laurie Groves when she worked there and I was there for a few hours in the afternoon while she did the noon news cast and different things after the show like news updates, etc. It was awesome. I never knew things were so hectic in the news room. Have a good week.
Erin,
I recently completed the Farrell's extreme bodyshaping program. It is 6 days a week - 3 days of kickboxing and 3 days of resistance bands. For anyone looking to get in shape it is a wonderful program. Plus they teach you about nutrition, which was really the hardest part for me. The class is tough, but the results are worth it!
Hi Erin, I ate a massive "cheesy cheeseburger" for lunch today at TGI Friday's, which should forever be known as Tremendously Guilt Inducing Food, and am currently slipping in and out of consciousness from my beef induced coma here at work. Does that count as exercise?
Kurt from Dallas
And by the way, please be sure to tell your parents "hi" for me at some point as well as congratulations on the new house. Larry was always the coolest guy to me. Your mom of course has been my favorite for as long as I can remember. I'll never forget when I called your house last century, and your mom thought I said "herschel". I'm sure she's long forgotten about that, but it still cracks me up this long after the fact. Speaking of that, how often do you butcher names on the teleprompter on live tv? Thinking of your mom calling me Herschel made me think of this clip:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=anKhwRz31lQ
It's clean, I promise, and I'm sure you've seen it, but it's hilarious.
Have a great remainder of the week.
Kurt
I have noticed a significant difference with pilates. I remember laughing when I first got the DVD, I popped it in and sat back watching it straight through like a movie laughing at all the women,....Oh what a sight me on the couch with my potato chips and dip..it was almost like the women were encouraging me to finish off the bag. It went much like this...."One more, Two more Come on You Can Do it ,Three More, That's Right You're Almost There!". I'm not a big girl I have a small frame and I'm a 125 lbs. So I get down on the floor and think how hard can this be? Yikes!
In the beginning it was Hell and Misery I hurt in spots I never knew I had but now I find it addicting I have to do it every morning. Once you can get past all that your're home free. Hope this gave you a good bellly laugh. It's not easy for any of us. hahaha
Hi gang ... thanks for the comments! I've been more unorganized than usual this week, so this may be the only blogging I do - sorry!
Heather - I think you've mentioned the experience with Laurie in the past, she is great and I'm glad you had fun.
Becky - I've heard rave reviews of the Farrell's program. My husband started it about a year and a half ago, but had trouble sticking to the schedule. I see they've added a lot more class times, so maybe we'll give it a try.
Kurt - I was laughing out loud reading your posts. I need to dig up some old pictures and do an "Ode to CHS" blog. The thought of the cheeseburger is making me drool. Did we all talk like we were on speed when we were in high school? My mom thought you said "Herschel" when you said "Kurt Scholl" and when I was waiting tables at the Chuck Wagon, people thought I was selling them "super juice" when I was asking "soup, or juice?" Geesh!
Finally, Brenda - thanks for the Pilates encouragement. I've been doing a class at the gym, which works better for me since I have a short attention span. If I try to do a video at home I get distracted by dust bunnies or the cat or the phone ... you name it. You are right about feeling muscles you never knew you had. I love it!
Gotta run,
EEK
Post a Comment