Happy Monday everyone!
Do you have water in your basement?
At this point the more appropriate way to phrase the question might be, "Who doesn't have water in their basement?"
What a mess!
For some time Michael and I have tossed around the idea of finishing our basement, and now we are so glad that we never got around to that project. Thursday night in the midst of the three hour rain event we decided to take a peek downstairs before going to bed. I can't share with you what was said because both of us were spouting some creative sentences filled with four letter words. That's because there was about six inches of standing water and parts of the walls looked like water fountains. We have no sump pump and a ridiculously small shop vac, so the cleanup was long and frustrating. In fact, we're still cleaning up. I have that moldy, nasty, damp smell stuck in my nose. That, and Pine Sol. Lovely.
I'm trying not to complain. After all, we aren't dealing with wet carpet or ruined furniture. In our newscasts, we've been showing you video of folks who've lost lots of valuables because of the rising water - some who've recently remodeled and are now having to literally throw away their investment. Think of the folks in New Hartford. Two weeks ago they were hit by a tornado and now flooding is wiping out a lot of what's left in town. It's reaching the point where everyone is afraid to ask, "What's next" or to say, "It can't get any worse."
If you lived here during the floods of 1993 you know how bad it can be. We're all hoping that won't - or can't - happen again.
Speaking of weather, I need to get busy going through our early shows.
Stay safe,
EEK
Erin.Kiernan@whotv.com
Monday, June 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
UGH! So sorry to hear that you guys had water in your basement. We're lucky, no water thus far. The sump pump has been doing its job, the sewer hasn't backed up, and the basement windows haven't let any water in (although I saw that happen about eight years ago once, during an extremely heavy rain). I'm also very glad that we no longer live down in the Frisbee Park neighborhood, even though they're optimistic that area will be spared. Let us know if you need any help with anything.
Courtney, Grams, Jodi, and Sam
Sorry to hear you're having flooding woes. I am so grateful that we've not had any so far (knock on wood). The creek behind our house went out of the banks, flooded the timber and went over the road - but all on the other side from us - keeping our side still safe. The sump pump is working overtime and we are feeling pretty blessed. We farm, and most of our crop is under water right now with more rain on the way, but what do you do? It could be so much worse...
The Donkey
So sorry to hear about your water!! I've been running my furnace this week. We even had a snow advisory out for the mountains!! I was hoping you would be spared, which is why I checked out your blog!! Stay safe!!
The Donkey
The pictures of the floods are so unbelieveable! I live in Eldora, about 30 miles from Parkersburg. We've been spared by tornadoes and floods. Our prayers are with those who haven't been as fortunate.
So...I have 2 stupid questions...neither of which have to do with weather...I've been a long time viewer and have been wracking my brain trying to remember your maiden name...Just one of those "trivia" questions I may need to have! :) Secondly, I was wondering where you got your glasses or who makes them. My husband thinks I resemble you (I wish!) and I'm in need of new glasses...and love yours!
I enjoy reading your blogs and watching the news...thanks for taking time out of your hectic schedule to post.
Kristy Luiken
Hi gang!
Court - we're good, and very glad you guys are dry this time around!
Sue - did your home stay dry? Is there anything you can do to salvage the farm?
Donkey - I can't believe you're running the furnace there, it seems so strange since we are hot and sweaty here!
Kristy - thanks for your concern for others, many need help right now. The answers to your questions are a) Moody and b) Lens Crafters. :)
Flooding we are liveing in tents are house basement has collapsed and now we are trying to build one and now we are needing lumber to help us out Boone Iowa we did get a little help. so where is the news about the ones in Boone
Post a Comment