Monday, April 20, 2009

A big birthday, Relays week begins, another niece, and addictions

Hello and Happy Monday, gang! It's a dreary one out there again but Ed assures us the rest of the week will be gorgeous, so hang in there.

Last week was a lot of run, run, running around for me and it felt great to survive and make it to the weekend. I worked a day shift on Friday so I could be part of a birthday celebration for my good friend Heather Burnside.


Many thanks to friends Donna Heckman and Jenny Murphy for getting everyone together - Heather was surprised at dinner, but I think just about peed her pants when our gathering moved on to The Twisted Parrot and an even larger group screamed "Happy Birthday!" when she entered the room. Happy 29th, Heather! :) For the record, this is the only photo from this outing that I will post since every time I take a picture people now say, "Look out - you'll end up on Erin's blog!"

On Sunday I had the pleasure of serving as grand marshal for the Drake Relays parade. The sun broke through the clouds about a half hour before we started, I got to ride in a sweet Corvette and it's the start of Relays Week ... what more could a girl ask for? Plus, I got to see some of my favorite people, like Dolph Pulliam, President and Mrs. Maxwell, and Spike! I have a lot of fond Drake Relays memories and every year it's exciting to see Des Moines and my alma mater put on this world class event.

Yesterday I took some grub to my in-laws, Matt & Beth (otherwise known as parents to Olivia - my adorable niece). This morning, they welcomed another little one into the world. It's another girl, but she hasn't been named yet. I will share pictures of the newest addition to the Kiernan clan soon!

Finally, check out this horrid article I stumbled upon this afternoon. I have written several times about the trouble I have controlling my eating and now researchers have found that certain fat-sugar-salt combinations are addictive in the same way alcohol and drugs are?!?!? God save me. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30312808/ Check this out and let me know what you think. Right now I'm thinking a Whopper with cheese sounds fantastic, with chocolate chip cookies or Ben & Jerry's for dessert! On top of this food addiction news, an Iowa State University study finds that 1-in-10 kids ages 8-18 are addicted to video games! Again, the research shows it's similar to other addictions. Scary! I know I'm addicted to email. Last week our work system was down for less than a day and I thought I was going to lose my mind! I kept clicking on the Outlook icon, either forgetting that it wasn't working or praying that it was. What do you think about these new "addictions"? Worth worrying about? A sign of the times? Silly nonsense?

Have a great week - thanks for tuning in!

EEK

2 comments:

Maxwell House said...

Erin, congrats on being Grand Marshal. That is such big time! Do you know who was Grand Marshal of the Drake Relays Parade when I was in 4th grade? Jesse Owens! My sister and I got our picture taken with him. I remember like it was yesterday. I still get excited every time I see those black and white photos of him.

Congrats to Matt and Beth on babygirl Kiernan.

Happy Birthday to Heat.

Let's get together soon.

danawhitaker said...

I think that what once were being called hobbies are now being labeled as obsessions or addictions by psychologists and researchers who apparently have nothing better to do all day than try and diagnose every child in existence with some mental disorder. While anything done in excess and extreme can have a negative impact, I think the way we're defining just what excess is might be problematic. Kids involved in extracurricular activities that they enjoy might exhibit similar characteristics in regards to them. Look at Shawn Johnson, for example, and her dedication to gymnastics. But there's this paranoia coming from...somewhere...about technology/computers/video games. It's equally unhealthy for a kid to run outside all day living in some made up fantasy world too or spend all day reading books. Games are a great scapegoat right now, especially as we pass the 10th anniversary of the Columbine massacre.