Hello and Happy Monday, gang!
I hope you all had a restful weekend. It was likely much deserved after dealing with more than a foot of snow, howling winds and sub zero temperatures. I love Iowa, but every year I hate winter more and more! Speaking of which, I enjoyed your bad weather memories - some good stuff, both heart-warming and hair-raising!
Christmas Cards
They're starting to flood the mailbox ... Christmas cards. I love getting them. Every year I look forward to seeing the pictures and reading the letters. I know some people find these things nauseating, but even when I think someone is full of it in their letter, I enjoy reading it. I also love to see how clever and creative some people are. Our friend Elisha's card is a picture of her cute little feet (perfectly pedicured) on the beach. The Murphy's card is the whole gang, with each of the boys doing their own thing (including one in a Batman costume). Our friend Amy used a picture of her kids jumping into a swimming pool. I have a confession to make. I have never sent Christmas cards. Never. Now, before you start composing a nasty post or email about how I am a Christmas-hater, let me finish. This is not about me disliking or being somehow opposed to sending holiday greetings. It is all about me being a procrastinator and a multi-tasker who has too many balls in the air. I have not even started my Christmas shopping. I have a list and lots of great ideas, but no purchases have been made. Not good. So - do you send Christmas cards? Do you have your shopping done yet? I'm hoping some of you will help me feel like less of a loser. :)
Good People
I am feeling really grateful for good people these days. Some are close family and friends, some are colleagues, some are professionals who do their jobs in a caring way, some are the people we're featuring in our "13 Cares" reports ... all good people. I always love hearing someone say, "She's good people," about another person. To me, it goes beyond saying someone is nice or helpful or generous. Saying someone is "good people" is all-encompassing and sounds so sincere - and usually when you hear the phrase used - it is sincere. So to all of the good people in my life, whether for the long term or just a short while ... thanks. You likely have no idea how much your actions mean to me, but I'll try to express it adequately to you ... just not in a Christmas card.
Recipe
Do you ever have those nights where there's a particular item in your fridge or cupboard that you want or need to use, but you're at a loss as to what to do with it? That's how I felt last night about the pork loin. My all-time, favorite recipe for pork loin calls for stuffing it with spinach, cheese, bacon, garlic, onions and all sorts of other goodness. It's a great dish, but somewhat labor intensive and I didn't feel like tackling it last night. Plus, it's kind of my "go to" meal with pork loin and it's starting to feel kind of boring. So, I started rifling through the cookbooks, ripped out magazine articles and newspaper clippings I have - searching for something new to do with pork. I settled on something called "Bottom of the Box Pork Loin." I'm sure this is not good for you, but it was ridiculously tasty and easy ... yay! Check it out:
Ingredients
1 lb. pork tenderloin
1 egg,beaten
1 Tb steak sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 c finely crushed cheese crackers
2 Tbs. vegetable oil,divided
Directions
Combine egg,steak sauce,and garlic powder in shallow dish. Place crushed cheese crackers in another shallow dish.
Cut tenderloin crosswise into 1/2" thick slices. Pound or flatten slices with the heel of your hand to 1/4" thickness.
Dip each slice in egg mixture,then cracker crumbs,turning to coat.
Heat 1 Tb. oil in large non-stick skillet over med heat until hot. Add half of pork slices and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side or till browned. Repeat with remaining oil and pork slices.
This is making my mouth water. I am going to wrap this up and go home to eat leftovers!
Thanks for reading and watching. Have a great week!
EEK
Erin.Kiernan@whotv.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Erin, you are sooo not alone on the Christmas card situation - I can go one further. I have actually taken the family photo, make the cards up, and then still not gotten them sent out...how sad is that??! I am going to be better this year though, due to being unemployed, I am making myself get that task done..maybe you'll find one in your mailbox? And no, the presents aren't finished either...if you have your Sunday paper still, read the For Better or Worse comic, it will make you laugh!! :-) Can't wait to try the recipe, thanks for sharing! And THANK YOU for everything you do in the Des Moines community, you share of your time and your talent with so many....
Erin,
I tried your recipe for my family last night and it was a hit! We are all very picky eaters, but loved this and it was easy! For someone who struggles with finding something to make for supper a lot of nights, this was a great dish! Thanks so much! Enjoy watching you guys every night!
Post a Comment