Monday, January 04, 2010

Football ... Weather ... Fat Pants

Hello, Happy Monday - and Happy New Year, gang!

How 'bout these bowl games? Of course I'm thrilled that Nebraska finished the season with a win, but I have to admit - I really didn't watch the game very closely. Victory is great, but it's also nice if the contest is a contest. Blowouts are boring. A game I DID watch quite a bit of (particularly the last half) was the Insight Bowl. Congrats to the Cyclones and Coach Rhoads! I know a lot of people are making snide remarks about the "winning" season, but after the past few years everyone should be thrilled for the program and supporting the guy who's helping turn it around. All eyes will be glued to the tube this week to watch the Hawkeyes in the Orange Bowl. Do you have friends or family who've made the trip to Miami? I heard that some hotel rooms were going for nearly $1,000 a night. What?!?!? I love football, and Florida weather sounds really great right now but that is INSANE.

Actually, just about any kind of weather sounds better than what we're experiencing in Iowa right now. When I went to the gym this morning it was one. One. Are you kidding me?!?! And it's supposed to stay like this all week. I hate to put these words on the page, but I really would rather have tons of snow than this kind of bitter cold. It's becoming more and more clear to me why my parents have moved to a warm climate. If you could pick someplace to visit (or live) right now - where would it be? I vote for anyplace south of the equator.

Today I am turning over a new leaf. Since around Thanksgiving I have really been a lazy bum. Couple that with eating and drinking anything and everything, and here I am wearing my fat pants and feeling really disgusting. So I forced myself to get to the Y this morning, although I didn't want to and it was painful. I'm also keeping a food log again. If you've never tried this before, give it a whirl. You'll be amazed how much it helps you behave and really think about what you're consuming - and why. This will sound funny, but part of my motivation is coming from an infomercial I saw last night. I'm not joking. It's for a workout called "P90X." Have you seen it? Watching it made me want to work out. Unfortunately I was seeing it after midnight so I just stayed on the couch with Michael, the cat and my glass of wine. However - I did think about it this morning and it did give me a little "ooomph" to get going. Sometimes seeing a video or reading an article can be the inspiration you need. Not being able to button your pants can help too. Feel free to share your favorite workouts or tell me about your great personal trainer. Sonya and I would like to start a segment for the five o'clock show about health and wellness and we want your input.

Have a great week, and stay warm!!!
EEK
Erin.Kiernan@whotv.com

6 comments:

Linda said...

Honey you look nice either way. We really enjoy you. Have a great week!

gymrat said...

You always look great Erin.

dsmbucky said...

At work we had a Biggest Winner contest. 3 teams - 12 weeks - food journal and team workouts - but NICE coaches! It was there that I found my exercise buddy. I never believed I needed one - until we decided to work out together - first on our team and now just to continue the success. Tomorrow morning when I have to leave at 5:00 AM because I told her that I would be at the 6:00 AM class - that will be what gets me up and get moving instead of cuddling in for some more warm time.

Triple Threat on U.Radio said...

Congrats to the Cyclones for their bowl win. I am so glad Paul Rhoades led them to a bowl in his first year, something Chizik didn't do in two years here. Also, the Husker bowl game was the best performance I've seen this year from the Nebraska offense. Where was that against VA Tech and Texas? Good luck to the Hawkeyes tomorrow. Let's bring a BCS bowl trophy back to Iowa!

Carrie Krupke said...

My sister is a personal trainer in Utah and loves P90X. We met up in our hometown in Orange County, CA over Christmas and swam with our old swim team there. That was my inspiration to try to make exercise more apparent in my life. I hadn't been swimming in over 5 years-I was surprised I could even find my Speedo!

It's hard in this Iowa climate to even picture being half naked and wet-even if it's an indoor pool. . .so I have my grandpa's rowing machine in my basement and use it while I watch The Biggest Loser:)

Anonymous said...

Still feeling sluggish & want to get your butt kicked out of those 'fat pants'?! ;o)

My husband and I just opened up a fitness center called Holmes Health and Fitness, in Waukee. We are both certified personal trainers and would love to help you reach your goals. Our tag-line for the gym is "making lifestyle changes that last a lifetime." And we mean it! We make a personal effort to help every one of our members!

We can be reached at: 515-987-1003. Or come out and see us: 100 Laurel, Waukee (in the Warrior Plaza by Warrior Lanes and Fareway).

Take care and we hope we hear from you soon!

Yours in health,
Kristin Holmes