Hello and Happy Monday, gang!
Rain, rain - go away! That's the song we'll be singing all week, as Mr. Ed says the storms will just keep coming. He calls it the "rain train." I call it depressing!
Double Standard
Also depressing - double standards. I can't tell you how many people have commented on my account of finding my first gray hair (and thanks to those of you who posted comments here)! I even received some voicemail messages here at work, one from a woman saying "gray is beautiful!" and another sharing how she's been coloring her hair since she was 20 years old. It's funny that my little story is sparking such a response and what I'm hearing from a lot of people is some version of the phrase, "Women look OLD, men look DISTINGUISHED." Even though many of us want to think that mentality isn't as much a part of our society as it once was, many aspects of our culture show that it is. Think about it - how many women do you see on tv with gray hair? Hardly any. By contrast, there are countless men on the tube who've decided against "Just for Men" and are embracing their gray. You can make the same argument when it comes to wrinkles. Crows feet and laugh lines on women = ugly, on men = character. I mean really, how many Botox or Juvedern ads do you see featuring men? Don't even get me started on liposuction, tummy tucks or boob jobs! The message sent to women everyday in America is that to age is to become somehow less valuable or insignificant and nothing could be further from the truth. I look to my mom and my mother-in-law as examples. Both are smart, successful, independent, funny, beautiful women. Neither one has had a shred of plastic surgery, both have stopped coloring their hair, and I'm pretty sure both would say family, friends, faith and a whole lot of other things are more important than smooth skin and brunette locks.
Swim Suits
All that ranting about physical appearances brings me to a funny story about trying to find a swim suit. I'm not talking about a suit you'd wear on vacation - I'm talking about a suit you'd actually swim in. I needed one for a "Workout of the Week" on Aqua Boot Camp, and I haven't owned one since I was a lifeguard fifteen years ago! I thought this mission would be an easy one. I mean, buying a one piece sports suit is nothing like the torture of trying a gazillion bikinis. For one thing - the suit is meant for being in the water so no one can really see you that well, and let's be honest - they're all pretty much the same. So the night before the shoot at the pool, I spent my dinner hour running around like a crazy lady snatching up suits. I just figured I try them all on in the morning before we had to be on location. Bad idea. I got up late the next day and was frantically pulling on one suit after another, only to discover that every, single, one was too short! Not too small ... too short! So envision this - I am doing that one-legged dressing room hop in and out of these little pieces of spandex and once I get them pulled up and my arms through the straps, I can't even stand up straight! I am panicking. Our shoot is in twenty minutes - there's no time to go shopping now - what can I do?!? I do the only thing left ... I donned the least-skimpy bikini I own and headed out the door. What a nightmare. Note to self - don't try to fool yourself into thinking you can find a swim suit in half and hour the night before you need to be wearing one - whether it's for the beach, or boot camp!
Bug Bites
Is anyone else getting eaten alive? I am covered in bug bites. I'm pretty sure most are mosquitos, but I think some other creatures have gotten at me as well. The worst - on my feet! Do you have any good tips for keeping the bugs off in the first place, or remedies for itchy bites? Please share!
I'm heading out to get some grub ... have a great week!
EEK
Erin.Kiernan@whotv.com
Monday, July 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Bug Bites - The best thing I have used so far to prevent bites is "Off! - Deep Woods Sportsmen" in the blue bottle. Its got 30% DEET and works fairly well. I have walked into a swarm of mosquitoes out at a local park, while photographing deer, and not had too much of a problem. If you don't like getting covered with Off, another option you might want to try is "Off! Clip-On Mosquito Repellent". Please note: Off doesn't work on Buffalo Gnats or Pirate Bugs. Hope this helps.
I am attacked every summer by chiggers. They attack the foot and ankle area and do not go away. I think it is more than a bite - like they maybe embed themselves into the skin. The only way I have found to get rid of them is to cover the welts with clear fingernail polish for about a week straight.
Rosemary says if you color your hair at what point do you stop? I am 62 and went from black hair to silver gray from age 25 to now. I never colored my hair because I didnt want to look like a friend of my grandmothers who was 80 and still used coloring. I am happy with my hair, I earned every one of them. You will be beautiful no matter what color your hair is Erin!
Post a Comment