Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Feelin' hot, Hot, HOT!

I've always said I would rather sweat, than shiver.
That's still true, but this weather is ridiculous.
It's really ridiculous when your air conditioning stops working. It happened at my house yesterday and when I came home from work last night, the thermostat read 86 degrees! My husband had been to a hardware store to pick up fans, he'd opened up the doors after hearing on our news that it was "cooling off" and when I walked in the door he was standing in our kitchen sweating like he'd been running up and down the stairs all night!
After a relatively brief discussion about sweating through the night, we locked up and went to a hotel.
I feel like a sissy.
When I first moved back to Des Moines to work in tv, the first two apartments I lived in had no AC (and the heat didn't work in the second one). For the most part it didn't bother me, until the weather got like this. However, the situation changed dramatically when I got married and started sleeping next to a guy whose internal furnace runs waaaaaaaaay hotter than mine. It seems like this is the case with most couples. Guy's always hot. Woman's always cold. The thing is, when it's cold you can always add more clothing or blankets. When it's hot, you can only get so naked.
Here at WHO, the AC works GREAT. It works so well, in fact that our 10 o'clock producer Maggie has a giant blanket on hand and she frequently walks around wrapped up in it. She was wearing it like an enormous poncho in here yesterday. There's a big old sweatshirt in our womens dressing room that I throw on over my suit on a regular basis. People think we're nuts.
I'm hoping the AC is fixed by the time I go home tonight. If not, maybe we'll sleep at the station.
And on that note, if you have the means to do so - think about donating to those in need. There are a lot of people in Central Iowa who don't have AC, and a lot of other things many of us take for granted (until they're broken). The Salvation Army is a great organization to contact if you're interested in helping by donating fans or air conditioning units, and the DM Fire Department is collecting and dispersing them as well.
Be cool!
Erin
erin.kiernan@whotv.com
And as always, thanks for the feedback. I got a lot of great comments about the flag issue... it's always a hot topic, even if you can see both sides like Casey does. Nathan, you're right about spinning AND weddings. Heather, it's always nice reading your friendly comments.

6 comments:

Casey said...

Erin,
For some reason, the AC in every newsroom always seems to work 100 percent! Out main anchor is always covering up with a blanket or throwing on other clothes over her anchor clothes, maybe it's just an anchor thing..LOL. Very good idea about donating AC's and fans to the less fortunate; smart idea. Stay cool and hope your AC is working tonight!
-Casey

Anonymous said...

Erin,
After all that sweating, you won't have to work out for a week!!! All things happen for a reason. :)

Heather R. said...

Erin,

Thanks for mentioning me! I love reading your blogs! They always crack me up. I job shadowed Laurie Groves back in 1998 when I was in 8th grade and the news room was cool until they turnt on the big lights and started airing. The minute you turned off the lights and walk off the set it cools back down. I hope you get your air conditioning unit fixed soon. A friend of the family fixes them for cheap and hes been super busy these last couple of weeks. I can imagine people with a professional business! Hope you get it fixed soon!

Have a good week!

Heather

Anonymous said...

You have great blogs, Erin. Keep it up!

Bob Nielsen said...

Erin,

Great to see you back on the air over at Channel 13! As to your "Feelin' hot, Hot HOT!" column, all I can say is my wife feels for you - my internal furnace runs waaaaay hotter than hers....just like your situation. I keep telling her, "Dear, if you're cold, just put on a pair of sweats or something else. When I get hot, I can only take off so much!" So, here's hoping you have air conditioning again... I know how it feels when you don't, 'cause it's happened to me twice!

Sincerely,

Robert W. Nielsen (a fan)

P.S. - just curious, but it seems to me that your on-air personality really developed once you got promoted to weekend anchor over at Channel 8. I mean, you were always pleasant to watch and listen to, but it seemed to me that once you got the anchor position, it just multiplied. Is this true, or am I just imagining things?

Anonymous said...

Great job Erin, keep it up. I always enjoy watching your newscasts. Thanks