Thursday, August 10, 2006

Kids are a lot of work!

I'm back . . . sorry about ditching the blog for the newscasts. This is a picture of my friend Brenda, her little girl Myka and me at Chuck E. Cheese last Saturday. That place is nuts! All of your senses are assaulted the minute you walk in the door, and I think they must put speed in all of the foods and beverages that kids consume because the little people get really wound up at this joint.


Brenda ("Brennie" to me) and I have been friends since we were in kids . . . got to be really good friends in high school when she helped me pass horrid classes like Chemistry and I helped her with English assignments. It's hard to believe that's been fifteen years ago. Oye. I've been to visit Brenda and her husband and kids a few times, but she hasn't been to Des Moines since my wedding (nearly five years ago), so she decided it was time to come see us. We had a great weekend, but I quickly learned that there is NO DOWN TIME when you have two kids, ages five and two.




Of course, my friend Courtney (Maxwell) Greene already knows this. Here she is at the psycho kids palace/parents spend gobs of money joint with her oldest daughter, Rachel.



And here's Myka again (making a goofy face) with Courtney's youngest - Samantha. They are so stinkin' cute! Did I mention that by this point in the night I was almost in a coma because I was so tired?



I was so tired, I'd stopped chasing Brady around. That's why there aren't any pictures of him during our outing. He was busy bouncing from the semi driver game, to skee ball, then on to motorcycle riding and shooting baskets. So - here is a picture of Brady on a slide instead. Nice hat, dude! Go Huskers!

Sunday morning, the thing that woke me up was a sweet little voice saying, "When is Erin getting out of bed?" and my cat hissing. The little people had been awake for two hours, and I was still unconscious. I managed to haul myself out of bed and down to the kitchen, where my husband had the kids set up with "Captain Crunchberry" cereal and juice boxes. I made a beeline for the coffeepot. After consuming a disturbing amount of caffiene I played with the kids and Michael made breakfast and we had a fun morning. A few hours later, Brennie hit the road. We immediately went back to bed. This kid stuff is hard work! Big fun, but exhausting.












7 comments:

Casey said...

Erin,
Looks like you had a wonderful weekend! You ready to be a mom yet or in the near future? LOL. Glad to see another blog, I was getting bored not being able to read one. LOL. Any more news on the fire in your hometown? Montana has a few right now, but nothing big, its very nice not to be breathing smoke like every other summer. Hope everything is going well, and have a fun weekend!

Heather R. said...

Aww how fun Erin! Sounds like a good time! Saw you the other night at the parade! You and John are an awesome team! Keep up the good work!

Heather.

Anonymous said...

Erin,
I bet you would give any kid a run for their money. You are a firecracker. Boy are Courtney's kids cute!

Anonymous said...

I share your thoughts....I'm a proud Auntie of a 4 and 6 year old. I have something in common with the grandparents....We (shhhh) load em up on sugar and then send them home to their parents. When there here it's doing this, doing that, going here, going there, gettin up and doing it all over again. I'm 33 yrs old and they expect
me to go on some of the "CURVY SlIDES". Oh I got on it but I felt like I needed an adjustment afterwords. needless to say AUNT B tries to avoid "THAT PARK" at all costs.
-Brenda E.

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin. Just read your latest blog along with the several I have missed. You are such a great writer, and the pictures are just adorable. I know kids are a lot of work---but they are little kids for such a short time, and then you take a deep breath, turn around and they are all grown up and gone!!
Talk soon?
Love you.
Ma

Anonymous said...

You think a trip to Chuckee Cheese with 3 is tough. Try having those two by yourself for a couple of days!(and add 20 years, or so!) OR help Brady celebrate his birthday with about 5 other kids! They are my heart, but they do take some energy. Thanks so much for this story.
Grandma Pat

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with Heather...you and John are such a great team. I just can't figure out what "that other channel" was thinking when they let you go, especially as they had an opening when Jeanette left. Big mistake on their part! Now just don't ever move out of Iowa! :)