Wednesday, August 30, 2006

40 years is a looooooooooooong time!

Hi, everyone!
I'm back at work after a trek west to Chadron, NE. I apologize for not keeping you "in the loop" prior to leaving, but my folks didn't know I was going home and I didn't want to ruin the surprise. Last Sunday marked 40 years of marriage for my parents, which I find amazing. You may remember from earlier posts that the Moodys spent most of the summer galavanting around the country, which is part of the reason it was challenging to plan an anniversary party for them. I think we will have a big bash next summer, before they pack up and move to Arizona.
ANYWAY . . . the first evening I was home, we went to Chadron State Park - here's the fam.


We went to the park to hang out with my Aunt Kay Lynn and Uncle Carl . . . here they are standing in front of their home on wheels. This rig is ENORMOUS. You would not want to be on the road if I was behind the wheel!


The next night, we rode a dinner train to celebrate my folks 40th wedding anniversary. From left to right, Colleen Harvey, me, mom, dad, Bev Stitt, Rob Harvey. Colleen knew I was coming home and planned this outing . . . she and her husband are owners of the dinner train.

Nebraska buttes . . . see, the entire state doesn't look exactly like what you see when you drive through on I-80!

My mom and Colleen . . .
Bev and I had chocolate martinis for dessert . . . yum! Mrs. Stitt was my high school English teacher and she's like an aunt to me (for lots of reasons that would be too complicated to explain in this post) . . . anyway, she's the best!
Pretty sunset . . .
A final toast for Larry & Cheryl! My uncle is an engraver and he gave them a really cool set of glasses and bottle of champagne engraved with their names and wedding date - what a nice keepsake!

I really wish I had an old picture from August 27th, 1966 to post here - but I don't know how to do that. Maybe my Aunt Kay Lynn can send me one . . . she's the techie/historian in our family. It's pretty neat to look at that stuff, and talk to people about what was going on back then. We watched the video from that day when I was home, and it was a riot. Kay Lynn was pregnant with my cousin Michelle (the one who introduced me to Joan Jett), all of my grandparents were still alive, and my dad was really skinny and kindof looking like he might throw up. :) A lot has changed in forty years (particularly my mom's hair - it was long and blond then), but I think a lot of things have stayed the same . . . like the way my folks laugh together. Maybe that's one of the "secrets" to a long-lasting marriage. What do you think?

7 comments:

Heather R. said...

Thank you very much for sharing your family with your fans! Sounds like you had a GREAT weekend back home! Glad to have ya back on the air! I absoultey adored the blue suit you had on, during Wednesday's broadcasts! Beautiful!

Have a great week!
Heather.

Anonymous said...

Erin,
I am also a big Keith Murphy fan. I noticed you have been on several of the videos on the sports page. I won't hold your Nebraska allegiance against you. You are a great journalist and it is fun to see you with Murph!!!

Casey said...

Erin,
Sounded like a fun trip. You all looked like you were having fun. As for your question about the secrets of a long marriage, I say that's 90% of a long marriage-laughter. Would be interesting to see pics from back then, and compare them to now. Was it very warm when you were down there, I had a couple of friends call the other day and say they were about to die in Iowa with the humidity, I just laughed and said, in Montana,we have none. That's one advantage of living out west! :) But anyways, glad you had a good time!
-Casey

Heather R. said...

Guess what Erin! I know this is my 2nd comment on this blog, but I was in St Louis this weekend at a family reunion and I turnt on the news and I saw good ole Steve Templeton! Brought back Iowa memories! I was so excited to get to see him do the weather again! I normally dont watch CBS but I saw him and I made my step-mom go back :) Just thought I'd let ya know!

Hope you had a great Labor Day!

Kathy said...

Fun blog to read! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I loved this blog! You are still a great writer and WHO is very lucky to have you. I would say that even if I were not your mother!
We're glad you had a good time. You definitely MADE our week-end. Come back anytime and do a special about the wonders of this part of the world. Iowa needs to know.
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I swear Erin that if i saw you in person i would never know you were there seriosly but if i knew it was you i would freak lol