Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Labor day, a crazy chase, allergies and answers

Hi, gang!
No photos this week . . . I went to a wedding on Saturday and forgot to take a camera. Bummer! If I get any pics sent my way in the near future, I'll post them.
What did you do on Labor Day? A bunch of us here at Channel 13 were "laboring". You may recall that around the 4th of July we had a little discussion going about patriotism and displaying the flag. What are your thoughts about this holiday, and what does it mean to you? I'll look forward to reading your comments.
While we're on the subject of working on a holiday, Monday was insane!!! Typically, there is no news on holidays. We are usually making it up. Seriously. We all come to work dreading the effort that it will take to find stories and fill our newscasts with something other than the same old stuff we do every year on whatever holiday it happens to be. You know what I'm talking about.... extra troopers on the road, illegal fireworks, official (end/beginning) of the summer, buying a turkey, the biggest shopping day of the year, best light displays, drink driving arrests . . . you've seen all these stories a million times. ANYWAY . . . it will be awhile before I forget Labor Day 2006, or as I'm calling it "The day Mark Tauscheck and Mike Borland nearly died while chasing a chase." I won't bore you by writing about what happened to this fearless reporter/photographer duo, since you can watch their experience online. Check it out. It's labeled "high speed chase" and it's amazing no one was seriously injured. We also had five people arrested in connection with a murder in Woodland Cemetary in Des Moines, and an accidental shooting up in Story County. Not a typical holiday at all.
This is nothing earth shattering, but allergies are making me miserable! You, too? Tonight I sound like Elmer Fudd and my eyes are so red it probably looks like I was out partying last night. Yuck!
Finally, some folks have mentioned that I'm not very good about answering questions that people post in the comment section. So, I've looked back through a few and here are some replies!
Casey wants to know if I'm thinking about becoming a mom in the near future. A: I've got the bug, but I'm still to scared to follow through. Clock is ticking, though. Casey, you also asked about the turkey legs at the fair . . . awesome, as always.
Anonymous asks why none of us wear wedding rings on tv. A: I do. So do JB, and Ed and I think just about everyone else who is hitched. Maybe we just need bigger rings. Hmmmm ... my anniversary is coming up next month!
Robert is inquiring about on-air personality. A: I think it's just a matter of getting comfortable on television and in the chair. The first time I was put at the anchor desk I was terrified. I definitely had the deer-in-the-headlights look and I sounded like a robot. I'm glad you think I've improved since then!
Dean asks if I ever look "grungy". A: Pahleeeeeeeeeeeeze. Every morning. Always at the gym. Most of the weekend.
These aren't questions, but thanks to Heather for letting us know that she saw Steve Templeton on tv in St. Louis. We miss Steve a lot - he is a super nice guy and a great meteorologist. And Tom, I'm glad you enjoy the "Soundoff Extra" segments and that you aren't holding my Husker loyalty against me. Counting down to the ISU game on October 7th! Have a great week!
Erin
erin.kiernan@whotv.com
PS . . . Thanks, Mom. Sometimes I think you're the only one reading this! :)

7 comments:

Heather R. said...

Great blog Erin! I totally am digging the great stories. I didn't know that you and John had to work holidays. About the wedding ring thing... I always see people with them on. I dont know why but that always catches my eyes? Who knows! Terrif blog! 5 stars Erin! Have a GREAT week!
*heather

Anonymous said...

Erin, I'm so glad that your back on the news where you belong. I really missed you for the time you were working behind the scenes. Never miss a blog - they're GREAT!
Mitchellville Fan...

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin, great blog!! I was just wondering what happened to Mark Ferree and Lynn Melling. I never see them.

Thanks,

Lorrie

Anonymous said...

After I posted the comment about the rings I started noticing them.
I thought I heard somewhere that rings were taken off because it gave the impression that they were "available" since one of the qualifications to be on the news is that your good looking. Ever since then I've noticed very few rings.

How about a post of a typical day.

Anonymous said...

Well, another great blog, and clearly I am not the only one reading or the only one who thinks your writing is awesome. You have a great mix of savvy, humor and intelligence.
Keep up the excellent work.
Ma

Casey said...

Great blog once again Erin. I will have to come try a turkey leg.LOL. I'm sure you will make a good mother, you have the personality thats good. Since I work in a smaller market, what is it like in a medium size market? Hows the day go? Just wondering...again...good job..and ready to see your next one!
-Casey

Stout Family said...

Erin- THANKS for the great job you do on Channel 13 news! You all work so hard and congrats on your pick of the Steelers for the win of Thursday night's NFL opener! make sure you rub it in with Keith & Ed! You do a great job of handling the boys' banter!
Have a great week! and although you're a HUSKER fan, we will TRY not to hold it against you!
GO HAWKS!