Monday, September 18, 2006

Fall TV . . . It could be worse . . . Anniversary tour

Can you believe we're nearing the tail end of September?!?!?
I can't.
Summer went way to fast and I didn't do much with it.
There is an upside, however.
FALL TELEVISION!!!!

Deal Or No Deal begins in roughly 10 minutes. Tonight's "season premiere" is TWO HOURS LONG!!! I understand the show is engaging, but two hours?!? What do you think?

I'm looking forward to seeing Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. I really enjoy a lot of the actors who are in this show, and the promos for it look promising. Here's what a critic writes:

"The West Wing may be over, but Aaron Sorkin is back. For those who couldn't get enough of Sorkin's unique brand of highbrow hallway bantering, tune in to Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. The series is a behind-the-scenes look at a Saturday Night Live-type variety show that's on its creative last legs much like the real SNL, some would say.
After the executive producer (Judd Hirsch) stops a lame skit and goes in front of the camera to give a rambling Network-style speech on the abysmal quality of TV, he's booted out, and new network entertainment president Amanda Peet brings in Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford's characters to run the show.
Knowing Sorkin's track record The West Wing, Sports Night, The American President, A Few Good Men there's very little doubt whether or not Studio 60 will be good. The question, rather, will be do most viewers really care about the drama of making television. Here's betting that in a timeslot not exactly brimming with intellectually stimulating shows (What About Brian, CSI: Miami), Studio 60 settles in nicely.

My Huskers got beat Saturday night. Not a surprise. I think the headline from one paper read, "USC Dominates Huskers" which is pretty accurate. However, it wasn't as much of a blood bath as I feared it might be. I actually spent the bulk of Saturday watching football. My husband finds this intriguing. I think most of the women he dated before me were fairly "girly" and he doesn't have any sisters, so he never spent much time watching sports with females. I grew up watching football with my dad nearly every Saturday, every Sunday and every Monday night. Most of my high school girlfriends love watching football. So - let's here from the women out there. Do you love or hate watching sports. Or, maybe you don't care? For that matter, let's hear from the men, too. Maybe you could give two hoots about watching football?

Finally - if you're looking for something to do this weekend, check out the Sherman Hill neighborhood. It's the 30th Anniversary of "Doors to the Past" - the walking tour of historic homes. There are a number of "new" homes, apartments and businesses on the tour this year and it's always fun to look around. For more info, visit www.shermanhill.org

I need to write some scripts for our 10pm show - looking forward to your comments, as always!
Erin
erin.kiernan@whotv.com

10 comments:

Sara said...

I spend my Saturdays and Sundays in front of TV watching football with my boyfriend. I LOVE IT!!! I thought football season would never get here.

Heather R. said...

Im the same way Erin. I am a die hard football fan. I totally was at the Iowa, Iowa State game on Saturday. It was the once in a life time experience I was always hoping for. I have like 130 pictures from the game if your interested to see them! I had fun! But my family is a HUGE Nebraska fan. I can remember when I went to a game at Iowa State where Neb. was playing and those were the days Nebraska DOMINATED the game and the Cyclones like were blown away :) Ahh the good days! But Good Blog and Enjoy the season! I am ALWAYS counting down the days to football season!

Have a good week!
Heather.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE football, basketball, baseball, just about any sport shown on TV. Some men I talk sports with look at me funny, like, how come you know so much? I actually am more of a sports fan than my husband. My mom is too. I grew up watching a lot of sports.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading your blogs. You should suggest to your tech people to add a section on this site to get to know EACH of your newspeople...not just those of you with Blogs. I really enjoy watching you more when I get a glimpse of what you're like outside of Ch 13 news. Just a suggestion...

Casey said...

Erin,
Love TV drama and a little football too. My home team..University of Montana was beat by the Hawkeeys, so not to happy about that..lol..actually we saw it coming. LOL. As for tv..love csi miami, and i love Ghoast Whisperer on Friday nights. Deal or no deal, wish I could go on there. LOL. Maybe WHO should get a team to go on there and play for charity..could be very intersting. You could be at the head of everyone! Then when it comes to decide on a case, those who are on your blog all the time, give us a call and we will pick it for you..that could be very fun..lol..hope you're having a good week..

Casey said...

don't mind the spelling mistakes in the other blog..very tired..lol

Anonymous said...

"Summer went by way to fast"

To is used incorrectly. It should be too. Summer went by way too fast.

Kathy said...

I love watching football!!! It would not be Fall without it!

Anonymous said...

For God sakes...now we are criticizing Erin for not using proper grammar? The woman reads and writes all day long, for crying out loud..give her a break! I'm sure you have never misspelled a word in your entire life, right? Erin, I love reading your blogs, it's fun to see the personality come out besides the 'news' personality. My family has always watched Channel 13 for the news, back during the Scott Pope era. I lived in GA for 4 years recently and saw Jim Strickland on the news, I believe he's an investigative reporter and I also saw Mirtha Vaca (pardon me, anonymous, if I didn't spell that correctly.), but it was nice to see some faces from Iowa down there, I felt like I was the only Yankee! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a guy, and I could really care less for football. I grew up more with racing and hockey and even in high school, I never got into football. I only went to one game, we won, but I quickly found myself bored with it. My wife on the other hand, she's addicted to it. I've resigned myself to the reality that come Sunday and Monday nights, the only thing in her world is football. LOL