Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A very belated blog

Some of my colleagues, and a few viewers and blog readers have been giving me a hard time about not posting anything for awhile. I'll admit, at first I was a bit defensive about it. That is, until I looked at my last post. Oops!
So, without further delay - here are photos from a very interesting Thanksgiving!


First . . . THE BIRD. Michael and I are always the guests, not the hosts for Thanksgiving dinner, so this was the big adventure of the day. I should mention that while I did all of the shopping, my husband did all of the cooking. See that flimsy looking roasting pan holding the 20 pound turkey? It broke near the end of its time in the oven. That was about the time our first guests started showing up. Yikes. Not to worry, Mike saved the day and everything turned out great. I tried to take pictures of him cooking, but he was NOT having it.


Here are our dinner guests . . . photojournalist Brad Argo, Lynn Melling, Lynn's husband Ian, Jon Cahill, Kerry Kavanaugh's boyfriend Ron, and Kerry.

You might think it's strange that we had Thanksgiving with friends, instead of family. We decided to host this dinner because so many tv people are stuck working, and don't have the option of spending the holiday with family. It can be pretty depressing to cover the news all day and eat fast food instead of sitting down at your mom's house for a big feast, followed by falling asleep on the couch watching football!

We ended up with a TON of food. Michael made turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and rolls. Lynn whipped up this gigantic pile of mostacelli, Kerry made sweet potatoes, and pumpkin and apple pies and Cahill brought . . . Hooters wings. I'm not kidding. We all thought he was crazy. Guess what? They were a BIG hit. Maybe our cooking isn't that great? :)




The aftermath . . . ugh.


Lynn & Ian

Dan Winters with his girlfriend, Shannon.

The hosts

Our friends Kim & Chad (the newleyweds)

If you think people left after dinner, think again! The crowd just got bigger, and we started playing this game "Taboo". Here, Cahill is giving clues. If I remember correctly, his team did not do very well. Kavanaugh kept threatening to knock him out.

Jason Prine is the nightside editor at Channel 13 . . . here he is checking out the cards.

You've met Maggie before on the blog, here she is with our Assignment Editor Phil Cross. Phil is giving his team clues, and Maggie is holding the buzzer. "Buzzing" someone basically means they've screwed up their turn in the game. Maggie really enjoyed being the "buzzer boss."
Michael, giving clues with Cahill as the "buzzer"
Phil, Heather Burnside and me. We're pooped!

All in all, it was a great Thanksgiving. I learned that I much prefer being the guest, because just showing up with some mashed potatoes or a casserole and helping with dishes after dinner is a heck of a lot easier than being the host! However, this holiday made me appreciate my parents' culinary skills (and patience) and also made me very, very grateful for all of the wonderful people in my life . . . whether they're family, or not.

Thanks for reading and watching, and Happy (belated) Thanksgiving!

Erin

erin.kiernan@whotv.com

3 comments:

Heather R. said...

Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving! Pictures are hilarious. Glad to see that others have fun on Thanksgiving to. You were a great host from the sounds of it.

Happy holidays!

Casey said...

Erin,
Nice to hear from you again! Looks like you guys all a blast. There is always that news person in the newsroom that you can call mom, and it looks like you're it! LOL. Hope everything went good and have a Merry Christmas! We'll be waiting to see your next blog!
-Casey

Anonymous said...

Looks like everyone had a lot of fun. Such a great idea that you and your husband came up with to host a Thanksgiving for your friends. Love reading the blogs of Channel 13.