Thursday, November 16, 2006

Birthday bash!

It's taken me awhile to get this blog posted, mostly because I'm still recovering from this CRAZY birthday party!

It was last Saturday night, and here are the birthday girls . . . Katie (turning 4), Megan (turning 9) and Samantha (turning 1). Katie is the daughter of my husband's brother, Pete. Megan is the daughter of my husband's brother, Dan. Samantha is the daughter of my husband's cousin, Courtney. Are you confused yet?!?!? I guess it's easiest to say these are my two nieces and second cousin. What I soon learned on this night is that it is very hard to capture pictures of wound up little kids! (Also in this photo, my sister-in-law Kris' mom, and my husband's grandmother.)


Here is Megan, opening one of her gifts. I'm not sure but I think this is one of these "Build a Bear" things? I ended up stuffing the darn thing for her, using a butter knife. It was not pretty. Luckily, no one was injured. Whew. Megan named her new bear "Cindy".



I wanted a photo of "The Kiernan Boys" - and never did manage to get one where everyone is looking at the camera, smiling, with their eyes open. Oh well. There's a reason I am not a professional photographer. From left to right: Pete with his son, James. Michael. Father Jim. Dan with his son, Collin. Matt. "Father Jim" is an uncle to these goofballs. Since I became a Kiernan, the number one question I get from people is, "Are you related to Father Jim Kiernan?" Yup! He is a gem.



This is one of the few times little Samantha was in one spot long enough to get a picture of her .... she's opening this Raggedy Ann doll from her Aunt Joan (my mother-in-law). Here you also see my sister-in-law Melinda, the back of Samantha's grandma's head, and Samantha's mom Courtney.


And finally . . . cake!!! My sister-in-law Beth was in charge of this balancing act, and didn't even end up wearing any frosting. Amazing! I kept my distance, since I seem to have a problem with fire and I really don't want my hair singed again.

You may notice that my niece Katie is wearing A LOT of pink! I wish I had a picture of her decked out in all of the frilly, sparkly, furry accessories she received as gifts. It was a riot! She was decked out from head to toe. She also got this Cinderella doll that you see in the background. It's as tall as she is!!! Katie's big brother James was dragging the thing around the room by its foot at one point in time. Oh, boy. There was drama.

So, blog readers - do you remember your favorite birthday parties or gifts? Let the reminiscing begin!

Happy (early) Thanksgiving,

Erin


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin,
Megan enjoyed reading your post. She's very proud that you "stuffed" her bear for her. She makes sure to tell everybody that YOU used a butter knife to do it!
Your pictures are just as good as mine, btw. Ha!

Casey said...

Love this weeks blog! Very fun and intersting to read. My favorite party when I was a kid....remember...I'm only 24....LOL. We had this big birthday party at some pizza place and 3 other boys wanted to see who could eat the most pizza-well 2 of them ended up vomiting all over the little arcade in the back..it was horrible. Best gift..I don't really remember anything over the years. LOL. What was your's Erin? Have a Great Thanksgiving if we don't hear from you before!
-Casey

Heather R. said...

Good blog, and thanks for sharing your family experiences with us. That was awesome. My favorite birthday present was my 16th birthday present, and I got my car :) That was a no brainer for me :) Well have a good thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Great blog Erin! Your co-workers are right...you NEED to post more!! It was so fun to see the people I see on the news in suits and looking all nice, then at Thanksgiving dinner with their glasses and their boy/girlfriend there. Well thanks again and post more soon!!!
A future newscaster,
~*amy*~