Happy Monday!
Saturday I got to judge a Knobby Knees contest at a Celtic Festival at Living History Farms. What an experience! If you have no idea what I'm talking about, it involves men in kilts. Use your imagination.
We bought a new grill this weekend, and it's about time. Our old one was literally falling apart. Michael is already putting the new cooking utensil to good use, and I'm lovin' it!
Tuesday we celebrate the Chrysalis After School program with an event called HerStory. It's free, at Drake University's Olmsted Center from 4-6pm. We'd love to have you there to help us make a difference in the lives of Central Iowa girls and women.
Finally, I hope you'll tune in Tuesday and Wednesday nights for my special reports on the Americans with Disabilities Act and the struggles some Iowans are still facing everyday. "Equal Access" airs during our 10 o'clock show on both nights.
It's 9:45 and this anchor needs to slap on some lipstick and spray the do.
Have a great week!
EEK
Erin.Kiernan@whotv.com
Monday, May 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Very interesting report last night, Erin. As a recent grad of UNI, I am looking forward to seeing the conclusion and also what UNI folks have to say about it. Have a great week!
The story was interesting, but if your going to talk about how a handicap sign isn't posted in a parking space it's probably better to not show a picture of a parking space with a handicap sign at the same time.
Dear Erin,
I would just like to say that as a person who lived on the floor with Ryan and an UNI student, I feel very outraged on your story with him. Clearly you only spent a day with him and didn't see what else went on. First of all, I will remain anonymous because I do not want to represent anyone but my own opinion on the topic. In your article it said that Ryan had only had the wheelchair since January...a reason why he might have been crashing into everything. The people in the hall saw it on a constant basis and helped him whenever we could. Ryan also got help at least once a week from a helper who took him out of his wheelchair to work his muscles and he also got help up at the Piazza. You fail to mention that there are other handicapped people on the floor(three others in the boys' and girls' hallways on the first floor alone) and didn't feel the need to interview them. You also made it seem like that the desk, doorway and handbar took forever to install when really they did it right away when the staff came back from Christmas break. Also, Ryan had a roommate and making everything handicapped accessible would have not been very fair to him since it does take up more room. I was also told that Ryan wanted a roommate but that could have been false. I know next year he has a single room on the same floor so he must not of hated it that much.
The one thing I did like about your article was the sidewalks and that is a huge concern for everyone at UNI. Being friends with the girls mentioned down the hall, I complained to UNI several times about the sidewalk and they didn't do anything about it.
Just thought I would give your viewers another perspective on the issue since you were day for a day and I was there for a semester. Also, your camera crew blocked the entire hallway...not a great way for the handicapped to get around.
Post a Comment