Hello everyone!
First, a thank you to everyone who posted here, called me or sent emails about our "Equal Access" stories. As a reporter you never know what kind, or how much of a response you'll get once your stories hit the air. I'm always a little bit nervous when I do an investigation, because they usually make someone angry. I was a little surprised at the number of calls and emails this series generated - so here are just a few excerpts.
A few UNI students and alums sent notes about the story, including Christine - who helped form a disability awareness group there in the early nineties. "While I did encounter some problems with accessibility, I found that the university administration was more than helpful in accommodating my needs, and the needs of other persons with disabilities." Christine echoes the sentiments of the family profiled in my story. Ryan Dennis and his family were very happy with the University's response to every complaint they had, but they aren't pleased with the requirements of the Americans With Disabilities Act ... they think it doesn't do enough.
I was somewhat surprised by the number of emails I received from people who are not disabled, but know and care about people who are. Many say everyone should have to spend a day trying to get around public spaces with someone who's confined to a wheelchair, just to get a sense of how frustrating it is.
I also heard from a number of people who are wheelchair-bound because of recent injuries. Bonnie has had eight knee surgeries and writes, "These difficulties are not something I would wish on my worst enemies. You are not only frustrated, you are demeaned and made to feel totally less than equal." Dawn is another viewer who used to be able-bodied, but hurt her back twenty months ago. "Until my injury, I took many things for granted, including the ease of opening doors or the availability of parking," she writes in her email. "I hope your report has opened many eyes as well as doors for the disabled."
Some viewers rightly pointed out a mistake in part one of our series. "I must say I was a bit disappointed with the integrity of the latter half of the handicap story you aired last night," writes Jim. "The video contradicts what was being reported about the library parking lot." I wrote back to Jim and others, thanking them for being such astute viewers and letting them know they are absolutely right! In part one of the series I point out that there are no handicapped parking signs at the East Side Library in Des Moines. However, in subsequent shots you see handicapped parking signs! I'm embarrassed that I missed this when I watched the story before it aired. There are now handicapped signs - but only because we asked the city why there weren't any. The video showing the new signs should have appeared only in part two of the series. I hope that makes sense. Your comments and questions are always welcome.
There are a number of other topics I intended to touch on tonight, but my stomach is growling like crazy so I'm going to wrap up here and get something to eat!
Happy Monday.
EEK
Erin.Kiernan@whotv.com
Monday, May 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Erin,
That was a great story! Way to go!
:)
Post a Comment