Monday, February 02, 2009

Baby Luke, Super Springsteen, A Life Changing Trip

Hi gang!
Happy Monday.
It REALLY feels like Monday, doesn't it? Always does after the big game. Whew!
First things first. Many of you have been dying to know when Jeriann was going to have her baby. Well here he is!!! Welcome Baby Luke!

People kept asking me earlier today, "Did Jeriann have a fifteen pound baby?" WHAT?!?!? No, Luke weighed 8 pounds, 15 ounces. He's 21 inches long, and is beautiful - don't you think?

While Jeriann is spending the Monday after the Superbowl in the hospital, a lot of you probably feel like you should be! Hopefully you didn't hurt yourselves too badly during those parties. I really thought Kurt Warner had it won. What a comeback. What a stunningly great catch by Santonio Holmes. Darn him!!! Of course other than the game itself, the most important parts of Superbowl Sunday are the commercials and halftime. Like most people, I fell out of my chair laughing at the Doritos ad, and I can't get enough of the E Trade talking babies. What were your favorites? As for the halftime show, I thought it was one of the best ever. Of course, what would anyone expect from The Boss? I did think Prince was pretty amazing a few years ago, but I was terrified that he was going to be electrocuted since it was raining the entire time he was on stage. I never seen either of these artists perform live, but both are on my "must see" list.
Moving on to a more sober topic - my friend Deb just got back from what she called a "life changing trip" to Tanzania. Deb is a nurse and make the trip with a group from Methodist as part of a program called "Outreach Africa."
Siblings, ages twelve and five waiting to be seen at the clinic. They are orphans and the older sister is basically raising the little brother.

Most of these kids don't have parents either. They are waiting outside the gates at the feeding center. Deb said this was one of the most heartbreaking scenes she witnessed.

The team at work. According to Deb, the kids were clamoring to be seen by the doctors and nurses. Many have never had any medical care.
Dr. Stephen Elliot from Methodist Medical Center analyzing a blood sample. Malaria is a huge problem. Dr. Elliot says we Americans "cannot imagine such poverty, disease and malnutrition," and that a trip like this changes your perspective forever. For more information on the program visit www.outreachafrica.org
Finally, I just have to share some funny news with all of you. My mom has joined facebook! What a riot. Had she done this when I was sixteen I would've been mortified, but now I think it's another fun way to keep in touch. Plus, she's hearing from a lot of her former third grade students which is fun for her.

My stomach is growling like crazy, so I'm going to grab dinner.
Have a fantastic week!
EEK

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Okay, if your mom is on FB now, then Murph has to get in there! I see his wife is on...doesn't he know what he's missing?!? LMAO! :)

Robert Nielsen said...

My only quibble about Springsteen was "Where was 'Born in the USA??' "

That's the song that made him, after all, so why didn't he do it Sunday night??