Monday, June 08, 2009

You Know You're Getting Old When ...

Hello and Happy Monday, gang!

I have nothing to report from the weekend, except more and more examples that I'm getting old. The most exciting thing happening at our house is the arrival of a new washer and dryer. This is fantastic because it means we don't have to haul our dirty laundry all over town, but I would be equally thrilled even if we'd never been without our old washer and dryer. These are the types of things that make you say to yourself, "Ugh." I remember when my parents got their first microwave. It was a big deal. Granted, it was a brand new invention. Still, I didn't really get excited about it as a kid. The VCR, yes. Appliances, no. Speaking of new things, the new i-phone had Sonya talking about the old car phones that existed before we were all carrying teeny tiny phones in our pockets and purses. Then she said she vividly remembers one of her elementary teachers saying, "Mark my words, one day there will be a computer in every home in America!" Everyone thought the teacher was crazy. That conversation prompted John to recall JFK's 1962 speech pledging to put a man on the moon by 1970. A lot of people thought that notion was crazy. Just imagine what we might yet see in our lifetimes.

The other thing making me feel old is worry. I'm sure it's genetic. My Grandma Susan was a chronic worrier and although she doesn't like to admit it, but mom worries a lot too. I worry and obsess over all sorts of things ... and all of it is stuff over which I have no control. The past few days I was worrying about my parents. They're on the road, making stops at various places between Arizona and Iowa to visit friends and family. No big deal, right? Wrong. I can practically put myself in a panic attack thinking about them getting in a car crash or stuck in severe weather or any other awful predicament you could dream up. I do this when Michael is traveling, too. I think some of this stems from my job. All day, everyday I read and report about awful things happening to people. Sometimes it's random - like a tornado, or deliberate - like a murder, but regardless - most of what we cover is bad. I need to find a way to stop these moments of invented tragedy that rattle around in my head. More yoga?

And that brings me to another thing making me feel old ... my body. I don't just mean appearance, like my butt being bigger or my arms being flabbier ... I mean the way my body feels. There are days when my knees hurt so bad I am popping ibuprofen like candy. I've never had back pain in my life but now I'm mattress shopping in the hopes of finding something that will ease my aches. I used to consider a two hour workout "standard" and now it would be "brutal." Oh - and my feet. My feet are killing me! My doctor says, "Stop wearing those ridiculous shoes everyday, Erin!" WHAT?!?! Give up my three inch heels? Forget it. I'm not THAT old.

Have a great week!
EEK
Erin.Kiernan@whotv.com

3 comments:

Robert Nielsen said...

Hey, Erin,

If you're looking for a good mattress, try the Sleep Number bed - sure, it's a little more expensive, but it does wonders for pain - my wife & I swear by it!

RWN

K of Des Moines said...

Erin,
I had already left one comment about worry. Then I had to go back and register. Go figure. In general my first blog said you never stop worrying about the ones that are near the heart.Your to young for aches and pains. As the Doc said get rid of those high heels.Who cares when you are reporting news behind the desk.

Deb said...

I 2nd the Sleep Number bed, I could sell those things! We've had ours for almost 3 years now....the loan is almost paid off-yeay! You won't regret buying one....and get the best one you can...the warranty is 10 yrs no questions asked and 20 years conditional....you can't beat that with a regular mattress!