Monday, November 08, 2010

Let the music move you... The end... Pay attention!!!

Hello and Happy Monday, gang!
Is it weird to anyone else that it's November? Maybe it's this amazing weather we're having, but I just can't quite wrap my head around the fact that Thanksgiving is only two and a half weeks away. I feel like it should be spring, not fall!

Let the music move youThe past few weeks I've been struck by how powerful music is. I know that's not a revelation, but I'd like to know what gets you grooving or singing out loud. A few observations; most people make fun of Vanilla Ice, but anytime "Ice Ice Baby" starts pouring out of a juke box people's rumps start shakin'. I see it when I use a CD in my fitness classes that features the song, during weddings when a DJ plays it, and just last weekend when a guy picked it for singing karaoke. I know it highlights my age, but I sing at the top of my lungs to Journey, REO Speedwagon, Joan Jett, Bon Jovi (insert any 80s group here)... I've also noticed that even people who would never call themselves "fans" of entertainers like Katy Perry, Lady Gaga or Miley Cyrus can't help but sing along and dance when "California Gurls", "Pokerface" or "Party in the USA" are pumping out of a nearby speaker.

The endI did not end up going to the Iowa State - Nebraska game on Saturday. I'm still not sure if I wish I had or if I'm relieved that I didn't, but I was definitely not paying more than 100 bucks for a hillside ticket! The game was great, even though I was sure the Huskers had blown it. I know much has been said about Coach Rhoads' decision to go for two in overtime. I'm not an expert and I have nothing to add to the debate. What I will add is this ... I think the passion he's brought to the ISU football team is fantastic, and I'd write that even if his plan had worked and my team had lost. It's strange to think about never playing the Cyclones again but I'm looking forward to seeing what a Hawkeye-Husker showdown looks like!

Pay attention!!!Sometimes I am so distracted, it's scary. I've written before about needing to write myself reminder notes but lately it's gotten worse. November is a ratings period and I've had multiple stories in various stages for a few weeks now, so there's a lot rattling around in my head. The other day I was really at the end of my rope, trying to juggle a few too many things and thinking about all of the stuff I have to get done and how there aren't enough hours in the day and I blew right through a red light. Luckily there was no traffic, but when it dawned on me what I'd done I was horrified. I wasn't even using my phone or listening to the radio or eating or putting on lipstick ... I was just driving!

If I don't post this silly thing, it is never going to hit cyberspace but I'll leave you with quick programming notes about our ten o'clock shows this week.
Tuesday: I'll bring you a "13 Cares" about a great program for high school girls.
Wednesday: Elizabeth Klinge tells you about a unique class for Iowa inmates
Thursday & Friday: Sonya Heitshusen has an in-depth look at the case of Terese Ann Lynch Moore.

EEK
Erin.Kiernan@whotv.com

2 comments:

Robert Nielsen said...

Erin,

I will remember the Terese Ann Moore murder for the rest of my life - simply because it happened right down the street from where I live!! I live in a condo near Merle Hay Mall, and I remember that night I had gone to get dinner (it was my birthday, Nov. 11), and found Aurora Ave. east of Merle Hay Road blocked off by both DSM and Urbandale police cars, along with Polk County Sherrif & State Patrol vehicles.

When I got to Famous Dave's on Merle Hay, I had to ask what the heck was going on, and one of the customers told me about the situation -- I must admit to having been more than a little frightened that night, knowing what was happening less than a mile from my home!

Carrie Krupke said...

Here's something about music getting a little one to move. He nails the conducting and I've actually had worse conductors myself! check it out for a great laugh and relaxer: http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/music/chicago-symphony-introduces-ne.html