Monday, November 22, 2010

An old friend... "Don't touch my junk"... Great quotes

Hello and Happy Monday, gang!

I had a very boring, but productive weekend. All of the toilets in my house are clean, the laundry is done (and put away!) I removed the layer of dust from most surfaces that have been neglected for far to long ... sigh. I know it's sad, but these things make me feel like my life is in order (or at least more in order).

An old friend
Do you find that time flies by and before you know it it's been weeks, months, maybe years since you've talked to or seen good friends? I have this problem off and on with a number of people in my life. People I love, people I miss, people who've been my friends though some of the most horrible times in my life. It just seems that life gets in the way. The great thing is having friends who understand and who also have busy lives that keep them running around like chickens with their heads cut off. I got to see one of those friends for brunch on Sunday - thanks, Amy - it was fun and we need to do it more often!!!

"Don't touch my junk!"
That's what lots of travelers are saying loud and clear to the TSA these days. What do you think about the new enhanced screening measures? Frankly - I don't give a hoot. If feeling me up (or down or sideways) means that crazy people with bombs don't make it onto my plane - fabulous. I also don't care about the body scanner thingies. I mean really, we all come with basically the same hardware so what's the big deal. What I do have a problem with is overzealous TSA agents who think the uniform affords them license to do whatever they want and ignore information given to them by rational people. Have you heard about the poor guy who ended up covered in his own urine after a pat down? Tom Sawyer is a bladder cancer survivor who now wears a urostomy bag. It collects his urine from an opening in his abdomen. He tried to tell security agents about his condition and the risk of breaking the seal on the bag, but he says they wouldn't listen and treated him rudely. Sawyer says screeners need more training to deal with medical issues and I couldn't agree more - he also told TSA chief John Pistole that when Pistole called to apologize for the incident. What do you think? How do we keep air travel safe but not infringe on privacy?

Great quotes
I am something of a quote junkie. Since high school I've collected ones I like and in college my room was covered with quotes. My desk at work bears several but there is one I see every week at a local elementary school that I think is especially good.
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. - Thomas Jefferson

Do you have any favorite quotes? Why do you like them? What message to they convey and how does it affect you?

I'm starving. Sonya and I did a 5am workout and I taught a 9am step class today. I tired and my stomach is growling!!!

Have a wonderful week!
EEK
Erin.Kiernan@whotv.com

4 comments:

gymrat said...

Hey Erin!
I've got friends like that. I feel so guilty for not keeping up with them but like you say, they are just as busy and I'm sure feel the same way.
Some of my favorite quotes:

"I have not failed. I've found 10,000 ways that won't work" - Thomas Edison

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll still get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will" - Mahatma Gandhi

Like you, I've got quotes up all around my gym, etc.

Here's hoping you and Michael have a great and safe holiday! Happy Thanksgiving!

Robert Nielsen said...

Some of my favorite quotes --

"Let's ROLL!!" Todd Beamer aboard United Airlines Flight 93, 9/11/2001

"Let's pick up the pieces, and start again." -- Dr. Robert H. Goddard, inventor of the first liquid-fueled rocket

"Look up, get up, but don't ever give up!! - Former Dallas Cowboys WR Michael Irvin

And finally,

"All it takes, is all you've got." - Former WWE superstar Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

Jane said...

Erin-I love reading your blog it always inspires me! Ever since ya switched to 13 we did also....:) One of my favorite quotes is "You true character is most accurately measured by how you treat those who can do nothing for you" ~ I saw this on web and seems to fit me like a "t" not sure who gets credit tho
Keep doing whatcha doing!
Jane
Urbandale

Ames said...

Favorite quote: I feel like a squirt of yellow mustard in a grey poupon world - Erma Bombeck