Monday, April 23, 2007

Missing someone, baby craziness, the rumor mill

There are a lot of people I miss.
I miss Beth, my best friend from college.
I miss Brenda & Kim, my best friends from high school.
I miss my Grandma Susan.
The list goes on . . .
You don't often think about missing someone you see everyday, until that person is gone for awhile.
That happened to me last week when my husband was out of town on business. We're rarely apart for any significant period of time, and it was really weird having him gone for five days. Our schedules are very odd, and we spend time together at strange times of the day - like lunchtime, or after 11 o'clock at night. So, it was during those periods that I found myself thinking about Michael and really missing him. I also realized that it's very strange having a bed to yourself when you've grown accustomed to sharing it. I had trouble sleeping, and when I did I still stayed on my side of the bed. I was lonely. So, I guess the lesson is - don't take people for granted. Tell the people you care about that you love them and make time for quality time.
A lot of people I know are spending quality time with babies these days! Blog reader Heather asked if Michael and I want kids someday. The answer is "yes" (with "scared to death" in parentheses)! As I've mentioned before, I'm an only child. This means my folks are probably wondering if they're ever going to be grandparents. Michael is the youngest of four boys, and now the only one who doesn't have children. The pressure for us to procreate is increasing! So, I'm wondering how you blog readers feel about pressure to have kids, or people asking if or when you're having kids. For awhile, there were rumors flying that I was pregnant and I actually had people (some of them perfect strangers) coming up to me and asking if I was! I responded by saying, "No, I've just gained twenty pounds, but thanks for asking." Just kidding. But in all seriousness, do you think it's inappropriate for random people to ask such questions? I've always been more amused than offended, but I'm interested in your thoughts.
Speaking of rumors, I heard two really outrageous ones about myself this week. If I had a dollar for every story I've heard about myself that wasn't true, I would be retiring soon! The lesson here is, don't believe everything you hear, and think twice before you repeat it.
Finally, it's Drake Relays Week! This time of year always brings back fond (and crazy) memories of my college days, and one particularly special Relays weekend . . . my husband and I started dating during Relays 2000. It's hard to believe it's been seven years. Time flies!
Thanks for reading and watching,
EEK
erin.kiernan@whotv.com

8 comments:

Heather R. said...

Sorry if I affended you Erin. I didn't mean to! Yeah rumors are crazy now a days and to think about what is being said that you DON'T hear. I always wonder.... Glad Michael's back home!! Enjoy your week and happy drake relays to everyone!!
Heather.

rosorio said...

My wife and I have been together since 1999 and moved in together in 2001. Originally the question from my parents was: “She is not pregnant is she”? Since the culture from my country of origin is very different. Now that we have been married since 2004 the question from everyone is when are you two having kids? I think is a very awkward question to ask someone. Not rude or insensitive. Just very awkward. Awkward because it grants an answer that depending on the couple you don’t want to give or over explain. (Infertility or any embarrassing topic). Our explanation is that our financial and career situation is our priority at the moment. In the future we will.

ErinEKiernan said...

Heather - not offended at all, no worries.
Rosorio - you are right on with calling it "awkward".
Thanks for the comments!
EEK

Deb said...

I am a 30-something and my husband and I have been married for 8-1/2 years. We do not plan to have kids, I have a list a mile long as to my reasons why, which would take way to long to explain. It's not that we can't, we just don't want any and I have had lots of people say how much they respect us for that decision, but when someone acts like we are nuts for not having children I get really offended. I am the exception obviously and I too agree that if someone I didn't know asked me about kids I would think it was very awkward. Good luck to all bringing children into this crazy world, I will be the one dying alone I guess! It is MY decision however...

ErinEKiernan said...

Deb,
I'm glad you raise the issue of not wanting to have children. It's interesting to me that our society assumes that once you're married, you start having kids, and if you don't want to - there's something wrong with you.
Thanks for the thoughtful comments!
Erin

Casey said...

Erin,
I think when you're in the public eye everyone wants to know your personal business, ie...pregenancy. I don't think its anyones business to be asking you if your pregnet or if you just gained some weight, its not for anyone to judge. We had an anchor here who was pregnet and was getting into her final weeks and we got phone calls at the station to get her off the air because she was getting too fat for the news. People are rude and harsh in this world, and more so to the people the see everday on tv. If you don't fit into what they think you should be, they consider you a failure. Rumors are also harsh in the tv news business, but I say keep doing what you love to do, and the people that do like you, will continue to and if for some reason the people who don't like you still don't like you for all reasons, they can find someone else to watch and judge. I don't think people realize how hard the tv world is too work in so the start judging right away. I say, let them do the job for a while and see how the feel when they get called names, etc. Hopefully everything else is going well. Have a great rest of the week!
-Casey

Unknown said...

erin, I think you're great the way you are..you'd make a great mom if that is something you decide you want to do, but its a decision that you and Michael need to make. Its a HUGE undertaking, and once you make that decision, there is no going back...not that I would want to, but there are days.... :-) Its great to see you at the Y as a "normal" person, you're fun to be around. Thanks for blogging!!

ErinEKiernan said...

Thanks, Lisa!
You're right, there's no going back once you have kids . . . not like getting a puppy (which we've also considered)!
See ya at the Y!
EEK