Wednesday, May 02, 2007

A busy weekend that didn't go as planned

Hi gang . . . sorry for the delay, I keep getting sidetracked while trying to blog.
First, thanks for the great feedback on kids, and kid-related questions. I received a lot of emails after my last post, and all of you contributed very thoughtful comments. Keep 'em coming, and feel free to share on the blog!
This will likely be brief, as we're getting close to newstime.
Last weekend, Michael and I had planned to do yardwork and projects around the house, and not much else. We didn't make it to Peggy's, but our cleanup on Saturday was interrupted by a phone call from Jon Cahill inviting us to Carl's Place. For those of you who've never been, Carl's is the kind of place where not much is required in the way of appearance. So, even though neither one of us had showered all day, and we were stinky and had dirt under our fingernails - we went to meet some of the Channel 13 crew. It was a nice outing, followed by a trip to Hooters with our friends Chad and Kim to eat wings. Yes, another nutritious meal for the Kiernans. Sigh.
ANYWAY . . . a typical Sunday night for us is comprised of making a decent dinner (wow!) and watching our HBO shows. Jon Cahill is to blame for disrupting that ritual. He hosted a grill out at his house and of course we had to be there! It was a great night. Beautiful weather, great food and wonderful friends (I was tickled to see Jeriann Ritter and her boyfriend two nights in a row. . . our opposite schedules make it hard to have many social outings). There were a lot of new faces there too, which made for interesting conversation. One of the best parts (to me) was hearing young people talk about how much they like living in Des Moines and how exciting it is to watch all of the new development taking place downtown and in neighborhoods like ours. What do you love about living here (or wherever you live)? Let us know.
The worst part of the night was me sitting in sap. That's right - sap. It's seeping out of Cahill's deck in places, and of course that's right where I sat. I figured my pants were ruined, but not so! Becaue of the sap incident, I'd like to tell you about my new, all time favorite cleaning product . . . Oxyclean. This stuff is amazing. Granted, I scrubbed the snot out of my pants with the stuff before throwing them in the washer, but the bottom line is - the sap is gone! I know I'm a dork for being so excited, but I can't stand throwing away money so I'm thrilled that my clothing has been salvaged and I don't need to go shopping for new khakis. Do you have any miracle products you'd like to tell the group about? If so, post away!
Alright, I'm out of time here . . . I hope all of you had a great weekend, and that you're enjoying the gorgeous weather.
Later!
EEK

6 comments:

Heather R. said...

Erin,
Glad you got your stain out. I love oxyclean. We use a cleaning product called "Awesome". I know we get it at Dollar General but this stuff works miracles. Last night I was dying my hair and my mom totally spazzed on me because I got some on her cupboard but she said never fear the Awesome is here, and it came right off. We use it in the bathroom and kitchen. It works great. We have a big tub of Oxy Clean next to the washer. Dont' feel nerdy cause your happy. Clothes these days are outrageous. Glad you had a good weekend. Enjoy this one coming up!!!

rosorio said...

I love the peace of mind of living in my neighborhood. Where I was raised, there was a lot of crime activity and every now and then we had to over protect our property. We even caught a heroin addict stealing our car rims.

My favorite products are:
For the shower stall a one two combination of lime away soaked for about 20 minutes (Allow air circulation for the nasty fumes, wear eye protection and don’t allow your skin or any clothing item to come in contact with the lime away).
After rinsing it, applying soft scrub and letting it dry for another 20 minutes seems to work great. With one old rag or sponge remove the soft scrub and rinse well. Your shower stall, tiles and tub will be spotless without any effort.

For the glass cook top stoves, I soak with hot water for 20 minutes and scrub thoroughly with soft scrub. It takes away the burned up grease on the edges too.

To clean my hands after working on the cars and motorbike I use a product named Goop hand cleaner. It leaves my hands very clean.

ErinEKiernan said...

Hey you two!
Thanks for the cleaning tips! I can't wait to try "Awesome" Heather, it sounds . . . well, awesome! :)
Rosorio, first of all - I'm glad you feel safe where you live now. Second, I am so impressed to read about you cleaning the shower... what a great husband!!!
That raises another good topic for discussion - who does the cleaning at your house?
EEK

rosorio said...

Thank you for calling me a great husband. I try to be everyday. Our third anniversary is coming soon (June) and my wife B-day is in May.
When I left home for Iowa in 1995, I was surprised of how peaceful Iowa is. Here we don’t have much security measures other than lock the door before you leave home or the cars. Back home all of the cars have alarms and all homes have window bars made out of steel to prevent break-ins.

We both clean in our house. We have individual bathrooms that we clean. I clean the cat litter boxes and my wife cleans the snakes and bearded dragons cages. We both do our own laundry since I screwed up a couple of her items. I take care of the mowing and snow removal and my wife is the gardener and interior decorator. My wife cleans her own car and I clean my car and my motorcycle. We both clean the entire house when the other is traveling so when we come home, a clean house waits for us.

Heather R. said...

Acutally we each have our own bathrooms, and were responsible for our bathrooms. Then we rotate cleaning the kitchen and other household chores. Teamwork gets it done faster! I don't know how you can ever find time to clean with your schedule hah hah you sound like a busy busy woman!

Heather R. said...

Rosorio- sounds like you have everything planned out. Wish we were that organized :)