First, a wedding. Our friends Troy & Amy tied the knot Saturday night. The ceremony and reception were held at the Johnston Barn. I'd never been there before, and it made for a really neat setting. The only downside . . . no air conditioning. My husband was a soggy mess by the time we left! I would always rather be too hot, than too cold so it didn't bother me. Weddings and weather can make for an interesting mix. On our wedding day it was freezing, and windy. I've heard some horrible stories about how the weather ruined wedding days - do you have any to share? Hindsight being 20/20, I really wish we'd done something very small. Planning a huge wedding and reception is stressful, and a lot of work!
After leaving the reception, I got to see an old tv friend who now lives in Kansas City. He was back in Des Moines to visit his mom on Mother's Day (how sweet). I was struck by the fact that it's great to have people in your life who you can pick up with as if a day hasn't passed since you've talked or seen each other. That's how it is with my friend Michael. Plus, he is absolutely hysterical and I end up laughing constantly when we're together.
Sunday was a big day - we had a baptism to attend Sunday evening for Baby O!

Here's Olivia decked out in her baptism best!
Proud parents!
Father Jim Kiernan baptizing Olivia.I've mentioned Father Jim in previous posts . . . he is my husband's uncle. He married all four Kiernan boys to their wives, and now handles all baptisms. Yep, he is a busy guy - even though he's officially retired! The service was held at Saint Patrick's Church in Madison County. It's where the Kiernans grew up, and where we got married so there are a lot of neat memories there. Guess what - I don't think there is air conditioning there, either! So, we had a busy - and sweaty weekend.
Finally, be sure to tune in every night this week at 10 o'clock, for Kerry Kavanaugh's special reports "From Mexico to Marshalltown."
Thanks for watching & reading!
Erin
4 comments:
Our wedding day (Weather wise) was perfect. We had our ceremony at Reiman Gardens here in Ames. A very nice cool breeze, clear sunny day and we were surrounded (outdoors) by our best friends and family. The only bad thing was that the photographer kept positioning us directly in front of the sun and while we were there, he felt it was time to read the meter. There is nothing like having your bride pissed off on your wedding day. It just took our smiles away in some of them. Plus we look like a bunch of raccoons in some of those pictures. After everything was over, all of the sudden a wind storm went through Ames.
I saw Kerry Kavanaugh’s report last night. It was heart braking to see these people struggle so bad. I identify with them in part because the reason I am here is due to not finding success at home. My struggles were nothing compared to theirs. Recently I visited Mexico (Monterrey and Salinas de Victoria in Nuevo Leon) through a work project. Our counterparts told us that having the titles that we have in Mexico will make them starve. Fully capable and well educated people felt that they had no chance in making it big. It seems to me that in order to have a secure future out there you have to be born into a very successful family-own business.
By the way Kerry’s Spanish is awesome!
Cute Pictures of Baby O. Thats neat how you have Father Kiernan to do all the family events. The priest that married my mom and dad and baptized my sister & I left the priesthood to marry the year before my parents divorced. I think that was there oman :)As for hectic weekedns, the next few will be busy for me!! Graduations and parties are the craziest part of the year. Have a good week everyone!
Our church was not A/C'd either so I figured it would be hot in there anyway and decided to have it outside, in a gazebo, the end of July, hoping for a good breeze. Needless to say it was the hottest day of the year (seriously), and not much of a breeze. Luckily the guests didnt mind and it turned out just fine.
My cousin had a tornado come thru during her wdg reception an all the guests had to get under the tables. That's a wdg to remember!
I also caught Kerry's report last night and felt she did a great job!
I caught Kerry's report last night and the night before, about the little boy who couldn't work because his mother needed him. That made me cry, literally. I like how he cringed when he explained to her how he had to change diapers, it was a really neat special. Relay the thank you to her please. Have a good one
Post a Comment