Friday, May 18, 2007

Shameless self promotion

Just a quick post before the weekend hits . . .

Sonya Heitshusen has a great series coming up that you really should make a point of watching.
It's about this young woman, Naval Petty Officer 2nd Class Jamie Jaenke, who served as a reservist with the Seabees.

You may remember hearing about Jaenke, as she was one of only two Iowa women to be killed in the war. She was killed last summer by a roadside bomb in Iraq.

Sonya's story is about Jamie's sacrifice, and the loved ones left behind. Susan Jaenke is Jamie's mother - she's raising Jamie's daughter Kayla. Because of the way the law is written, a $100,000 death benefit is locked up in trust and cannot be touched until Kayla turns 18. You may've seen a few news stories about this, or read about it in the paper but you haven't seen and heard parts of the Jaenke's story that are heartbreaking, and incredibly frustrating. Sonya's reports air Sunday and Monday during our 10pm newscasts. We hope you'll make a point of watching, and that you'll let us know what you think.

Coming up on Tuesday and Wednesday, I'll be bringing you the story of a couple from Perry. These folks have been dealing with cancer for the past three years, and have been caught up in a long fight with their insurance company. I'm finding out that their struggle is not unique. Toshia and Ivyl are great people, and I think our stories with them will give you some insight into how the health insurance claims, denials and appeals process works.

Speaking of which, I need to get some more writing done before our early shows. Enjoy this fantastic weather and have a wonderful weekend!

Erin

Erin.Kiernan@whotv.com

1 comment:

Heather R. said...

Erin, I saw this story, and thats just heartbreaking. Another thing, the story you did last night about the insurance was pretty heart touching to. The poor guy is young and I am happy that him and his wife were strong and fought it. Not alot of people know there options or dont have courage to deal with it. Props to them.