Hi gang!
It's Monday, which means different things to different people. For me, it means tuning in to Rachael Ray (just before the Channel 13 News at Noon) to see how Iowa State student Madison Mayberry is faring on the "Hey, Can You Cook?!" competition. Today's challenge was whipping up a creative meal using Thanksgiving leftovers. Yum. If you missed the show but want to see how Madison did, just visit www.rachaelray.com.
I love Thanksgiving. I'm usually working, but that doesn't mean I'm not eating. Michael and I will have dinner with his family before I come to the station, and then in between shows I will probably meet him at the Lacona's house. I'm sure you recognize the name, and yes - these people can cook! I'm drooling just thinking about it. Do you have a favorite Thanksgiving recipe? I always loved my Grandma Moody's stuffing, my dad makes a mean turkey, and my mom's oyster casserole is delicious. Of course, everyone loves green bean casserole and mashed potatoes. However, there are mashed potatoes and then there are "Oh ... my .... gosh! What did you put in these?!?" mashed potatoes. If you want that kind of reaction at the dinner table, use this recipe. I got it from Steve Karlin when we worked together at Channel 8. It's his mom's and it is to die for. You might as well just spread it on your thighs considering the fat grams, but trust me - it's worth it. You can add goodies like bacon and cheese if you like. Heaven.
Jean Karlin's Mashed Potatoes
10 potatoes, cooked and mashed
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. onion salt
1 tsp. salt
8 oz. cream cheese
8 oz. sour cream
1 egg.
Of course, Thanksgiving should also be a time of being ... thankful! It's so easy to get bogged down in negativity and hostility and fear in this crazy world, and that's why it's nice to have a day that's meant to remind us of the good things in our lives. Years ago I heard a talk show host give some really good advice on her show. She encouraged people to keep a "gratitude journal." As I've mentioned before, keeping a journal is something I wish I did, but don't. However, the pastor of the church I attended during college had similar advice that doesn't require grabbing a notebook and pen. When you pray at night, make a conscious effort to thank God before you ask God. If you're not the praying type, try just listing off the things you're grateful for before going to sleep, or while you're in the shower, or when things get stressful at work. You'll be surprised how much this little thing can change your attitude.
Hopefully attitudes were improved today as part of our effort to make today "Make A Difference Day" across Central Iowa. The suggestion is paying for the person behind you in line at the drive-thru, but any bit of "niceness" will do. I rarely go through a drive-thru, so I dropped money in a Salvation Army kettle instead. With the price of coffee these days, you could just donate cash or food to one of the many charities in the area. Or, if you're strapped for cash, you could volunteer at a food bank or shelter. You get the idea. Be grateful and share the love.
Happy Thanksgiving!
EEK
Erin.Kiernan@whotv.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Erin-
The recipe sounds great but where are the directions???? :) :) ;)
Hey Birdie!
Instructions would be helpful, huh? :) Mix everthing together, bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
EEK
Post a Comment