Monday, December 08, 2008

Playing Catch-Up & Fighting The Crud

Happy Monday!
I apologize for slacking on my blog duties last week. The photo software I've been using has mysteriously disappeared from my work computer and it took me awhile to get things up and running at home.
So bear with me as we travel back in time a bit farther than usual ... to Thanksgiving!
Kris & Pete hosted the Kiernan Family Gathering this year since they actually have room for all of us ... more than twenty!

I did a terrible job of capturing images during dinner since I was stuffing my face, but I did catch Pete and Kris helping the kids assemble some toys in the basement. It's a preview of what's to come on Christmas. My nephew Collin is eagerly awaiting the finished product, and Katie and James are playing with a different toy in the background. Whew!

It was next to impossible to get Olivia to hold still for a picture, so I enlisted my mother in law's help. If you need assistance corralling a kid, call Grandma to the rescue!

I don't know about you, but in our house it's tradition to get your Christmas Tree right after Thanksgiving. Ideally, Michael and I would love to go to Madison County and visit Howell Tree Farm to pick out the perfect tree but we haven't had time in recent years. At Howell's they even have what they call "The Marriage Saver Special" where they pre-mount the tree on a base. That cracks me up, because getting these mamas upright and secure is no small feat!

Just as in year's past, we managed to get it done without an argument, we didn't break any furniture in the process and Marley survived. Merry Christmas!

Moving on to the highlight of last week ... Willie Nelson!
A lot of people looked at me funny when I said Michael and I were going to this show in Ames. Others said Willie is one of the best live performances they've ever seen. I grew up listening to Willie Nelson. Every time I hear one of his classics, it takes me back to family road trips in the van my dad restored. I can't even guess at how many miles we covered in that thing, from visiting family in Arizona for Christmas, to summer trips to places as close as Denver and as far away as the West Coast. I'll have to ask my folks, but I'm pretty sure the van had a tape player and an 8-track player. Regardless, there was always music playing and bad singing (on our parts). So last Tuesday I was rockin' out during "Good Hearted Woman" and "Whiskey River" and tearing up during "You're Always On My Mind." Willie was fantastic. He may be in his 70s but he sounds just like he did during those road trips when I was a kid and his guitar playing was amazing. No special effects, no big screen, no explosions ... just a guy and his guitar. Good stuff.

Finally, I am sick! So if you're watching the news this week and thinking I look like I got hit with the ugly stick ... you're right. It's the cold/flu/crud that everyone at work has been passing around the past month or so. I've been trying to fight it off and I'm hoping today and tomorrow will be the worst of it. I'm popping lots of vitamin C and drinking lots of water and tea. The doc says it just needs to "run its course." Ugh.

On that note, have a great week!

4 comments:

Sara said...

Thanks for the sharing your holiday with us, Erin. I hope you start feeling better.

Hawkeyes Fanatic said...

The tree looks awesome. I bought my first artificial christmas tree this year, as its my first christmas in my own place! I loved decorating and putting it up! Hope you feel better and I am glad you enjoyed Willie.

ErinEKiernan said...

Hi Sara & Hawk!
Sick day today... finally gave in to it and just woke up out of a NyQuil induced sleep. Ugh.
Enjoy the tree - it just isn't Christmas without one!
EEK

sonya said...

It's been a while since I've read Erin's blog - even though we sit side by side. I just had to post because I cracked up at some of the stuff Erin wrote about the holidays! - Girl, we really were separated at birth. Also, these are just a couple feelings following President Barack Obama's inauguration: Unity and inspiration. No matter your party affiliation, I hope all Americans can come together to overcome our problems. I know many people are suffering. However, I have always said: A great leader unites, rather than divides.

See you tomorrow at work!

Sonya