Happy Monday. It's another Monday of sniffling, sneezing and coughing for me. Today I broke down and called my doctor's office, practically demanding drugs of some sort. I'm starting a round of antibiotics and praying that they help me kick this crud. I've successfully passed it on to Michael and I know a lot of you have it too ... let's get well soon!
It's been especially frustrating for me to be sick during the past few days because I made a trip to Arizona to see my folks. At least there the sun was shining and the temperature was as warm as 70 degrees on some days. Boy did that make it a shocker to head to the Y this morning and see 1 on the temperature display. One. Yuck.
She's my dad's younger sister. In high school when I was waiting tables in my hometown complete strangers visiting from out of town would ask me, "Are you Rebecca Moody's daughter? You're a dead ringer for her." I'd explain that I was her niece and to this day I consider the assumption that we're related a huge compliment.
Since we're on the topic of Christmas, I want to address the issue of holiday greetings. We get a lot of feedback about everything we do and say on television, and this time of year much of it relates to the terms we use when talking about the holidays. Last week a woman wrote an email because she was upset after seeing two different promos. In one we were saying "Happy Holidays" and in another "Happy Hanukkah." She was angry that there was no "Merry Christmas." I wrote to her explaining that we recorded several messages - including "Merry Christmas" and I hoped she would see that one soon. Another man sent an angry email because we called the tree at the statehouse the "holiday tree." We called it that on the air because that's what the Governor's Office is calling it. My point is - there seems to be a lot of tip-toeing around what we should say this time of year. I really don't think it matters. Just yesterday I said both "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays" to people at the airport. Does it matter? And if I said "Happy Kwanzaa" or "Happy Hanukkah" would you really be offended? This time of year means different things to different people and I think it would be refreshing if we respected them all.
I'm out of time.
Have a great week!
EEK
5 comments:
Hey, Erin....
My wife swears by Zicam - you might want to try it for your cold!! As to holiday greetings, I try to stick with "Merry Christmas," but, I'm not offended by "Happy Holidays" or "Happy Hannukah". Sometimes, politicall correctness drives me nuts!!
Erin,
I completely understand the holidays thing.... I always just say happy holidays so I dont offend someone but sometimes Merry Christmas just slips out. I have gotten a couple of nasty looks so I always just stick with the Happy Holidays greeting :) Glad you had fun! Happy Holidays!
Welcome back Erin!!
I haven't written in a loong time, but it doesn't mean I haven't been reading!! Great blogs by the way, thanks as always for sharing your life with us, and the great photos!!! Thanks for the Santa story, my parents found a guy in the paper in Illinois who will actually come to your house and surprise kids. My kids had the same look as what it sounds like you did waay back when. I hope you had nice people to talk to at O'Hare airport (if you had to go that route). And you're right, everyone should just get along at this stressful time and just say hello if they can't figure out what to say...just smile, you can't go wrong with that!!
Hi Erin!
Just wanted to say hello to another fellow Nebraskan. I am new to Des Moines and just moved from Lincoln. I am originally from Northeast Nebraska though. Just checking out the website and saw you are from Chadron. Kind of exciting to see someone else from the Husker state.
Hi gang!
We are all bracing for tonight's storm - hope you are all able to get home and stay home tonight/tomorrow.
Bob & Hawk - thanks for the holiday support. Lisa - long time no blog, woman! I avoided O-Hare with a direct flight last week. Keri - Go Big Red!!!
EEK
Post a Comment